Experienced. Knowledgeable. Compassionate.

  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Social Security Disability
  4.  — How to appeal a SSD denial in Texas

How to appeal a SSD denial in Texas

On Behalf of | Aug 4, 2023 | Social Security Disability

If your Texas claim for Social Security Disability (SSD) was denied, you can appeal the decision and possibly get the Social Security Administration (SSA) to approve the claim. The SSA has provided step-by-step instructions for each stage of the appeals process.

Request reconsideration

When you file a Social Security disability claim, your local Disability Determination Services (DDS) office reviews the claim. If the DDS office rejects your claim, you can file for reconsideration with the SSA.

An online reconsideration form is available. However, you can also print SSA forms SSA-561, SSA-3441 and SSA-827 and mail them to your local SSA office. You can expect to wait between four and five months for a response to your original SSD denial. Move ahead to the next step if you get another denial.

Request a hearing

An administrative law judge (ALJ) can review your case and approve or deny the claim. You can request the ALJ hearing online or complete and mail form HA-501. Your hearing location options include phone, in-person or online.

You can wait anywhere from eight to 24 months before receiving a hearing date. Once the hearing is complete, it will likely take several months before you receive a decision. If the ALJ doesn’t rule in your favor, you can reach out to the SSA appeals council.

Contact the appeals council

The SSA Appeals Council can review the decision of the ALJ. To contact the council, you can file an online request or complete and mail form HA-520 to the SSA.

The council can agree with the findings of the ALJ, or they can modify or completely reverse the ruling. It’s also possible that the council might order the ALJ to grant a new hearing and ruling. There’s one more SSD appeal option if this step doesn’t provide the desired results.

The federal court

Your last option is to file a suit in the U.S. District Court. If that court issues an unfavorable ruling, you can appeal the decision with the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Any decision made by the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals is final.